Fear Free Movement at Crawford Dog & Cat Hospital
Dr. Waters is a Fear Free Certified Veterinarian at Crawford Dog & Cat Hospital. She has been sharing her expertise, gained through post graduate training to encourage many positive changes for our patients, clients and our staff. Our goal is to use this knowledge to strengthen the human-animal bond.
Here at Crawford Dog & Cat Hospital, we believe in the Fear Free program as a way to alleviate anxiety, stress and pain in our patients and clients. In addition to our Fear Free appointments, our goals are to help educate and inspire owners to look after their pets’ wellbeing, both in and out of the home as a way to encourage long, happy and healthy lives.
Some of the steps we have taken include:
- Variety of delicious treats and toys throughout the appointment (Please tell us if anyone in the home has peanut allergies)
- Non slip surfaces on the exam tables
- “Go slow” techniques to build confidence in patients
- Anxiety medications; long term or short term for stressful events as needed
- Sheets to cover cat carriers while in the waiting room and towels for hiding during exams or procedures
- Feline Only appointments on Thursday evenings (as a way to reduce any noise, such as barking dogs, within the practice)
- House call appointments
- Soft toned music if needed
- Basket muzzles that can allow for feeding while encouraging safety for our staff
- Behavioral modification suggestions for reducing anxiety at home because our office is not the only place that pets have anxiety
- Resources of Fear Free Trainers and training equipment for at home support
We take pride in our ability to help improve the experience and health of our patients on a daily basis!
If you have any question or concerns regarding your vet visit, do not hesitate to call and speak with one of our doctors directly!